A few months ago, I started playing around with lino cuts for texture on handbuilt pots. The hydrangea design emerged. But then it never went any where. I just wasn’t ready. So in a moment of just playing with clay I rolled out a slab of clay over the design. I sort of liked it but it lacked dimension. Then the penny dropped and I realized I could carve around the lines left by the lino cuts. Six hours later and 3 clay models emerged. One of the problems with creating clay models is getting fine raised line detail. The lino cut seemed to solve that problem.
I'm so pleased that just playing around has given me a new technique. I'm thinking we all need more creative play!