Thursday, January 8, 2009

Why Blog?

I’ve been struggling with this for a while. I follow a few blogs and enjoy the experience but often feel like I’m lurking in the shadows. I make a few comments, when I feel moved to do so. I offer my goods for sale on Etsy and follow the forums about using blogging to market your goods but it all just feels so empty and, well, just commercial. Why not just take out an ad here and there?

But then I read
Lorelei’s post this morning on friendship and it all just clicked. She talks about the community of ‘us’ out there and the challenges of making meaningful friendships as adults who’ve moved beyond our childhood and college year social circles. And, yeah the older you get, the harder it is to forge those new relationships. And she is grateful to those of us who read her blog. As if it weren’t a true pleasure just to get up in the morning and see what she’s been up to!

Blogging has become one of those wonderful ways that we can reach out to kindred spirits. Thanks Lorelei. You’ve inspired me to share just a wee bit of myself!

Oh and Lorelei makes just the most wonderful jewelry! Here’s one of my current fav pieces. You should hop on over to her
Etsy shop and buy at least one piece of her beautiful work.

OK, so assumi
ng I’m not just talking to myself, here’s just a little teaser of what I’m going to post about next (sometime soon?) This blog is intended to be a bit about my studio life, which tends to spill over onto my dining room table and other things personal. So as I get to know you better I’ll share more and more secrets, and we'll chat like old friends.




Cheers and see you later!

5 comments:

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

Love your work, Leann! Looking forward to more posts from you. I'm putting you on my blog roll now...

Lorelei Eurto said...

I love it. Thank you for being inspired by me and my rambling the other day. I'm glad, SO GLAD, that you started your blog! It looks fabulous and I will be a regular reader for sure!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Leann, I started (decades ago) as a potter's apprentice and migrated somehow to the place I'm in now, but I admire SO those who are working in clay, firing and glazing, to make the mugs and cups I use everyday (I insist on my tea in a handmade one, for sure) and once in a while I think about the road not taken.

So keep blogging and we'll follow along!

Erin Siegel said...

Hi Leann, Welcome to blog land! I started blogging last year and I've met so many wonderful people including the lovely ladies above! I've really enjoyed this little online community. I also make porcelain pendants, charms and buttons! And pottery soon I hope. I'm currently taking classes. Your work is inspiring to me. I'm drawn to the earthy, organic nature of your pieces. Beautiful!

SummersStudio said...

Thank you all for such a warm welcome!

Cristi, I've been looking around your Etsy shop and I really like what you do.

Erin, potter to potter, I am honoured to that you find my work inspriring. I love your leaves (from long before my first post) I'm really freindly, so you just go ahead and contact me anytime.

Lynn, what can I say really? I am a native midwesterner on an extended tour of Texas. Happy travels!

Lorelie, your friendship post was a long ways from rambling. It really was a catalyst for me. Thank you so much!