Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ugly Wallpaper, New Design


This is the wall paper in my bathroom. I hate it. I did not choose it. It came with the house. It is ugly. I have stripped wall paper in 5 rooms, patched, plastered, painted. I am done for now. But yet, design inspiration comes from mysterious sources. I actually love hydrangea, in all of its old fashioned grandmother glory.

A few months ago, I started playing around with lino cuts for texture on handbuilt pots. The hydrangea design emerged. But then it never went any where. I just wasn’t ready. So in a moment of just playing with clay I rolled out a slab of clay over the design. I sort of liked it but it lacked dimension. Then the penny dropped and I realized I could carve around the lines left by the lino cuts. Six hours later and 3 clay models emerged. One of the problems with creating clay models is getting fine raised line detail. The lino cut seemed to solve that problem.

I'm so pleased that just playing around has given me a new technique. I'm thinking we all need more creative play!



Wishing you a creative day of play, LeAnn

4 comments:

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

Oooh, Leann! I love this design! My grandma had both the lavender and periwinkle hydrangeas in her yard. I love them because of that. How will you be glazing these? Any fun spring colors?

SummersStudio said...

Thanks, Cristi.I've got a bunch of new colours that I'm playing with on these, pinks, light blue, summery. Should have some finished up next week. I haven't made any pendants or connectors yet but they are on the way :)

Komyo said...

These are beautiful! And what a great technique you've found! Best things seem to happen when we don't have too much ideas in our head, doesn't they?

Mellisa said...

Hi LeAnn,
Just wanted to let you know that my giveaway goodies arrived-they're terrific :)
The dark green glaze is just yummy and rich and awesome!
Thanks so much!