Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Things that make me smile

This past week has been a tough one for me. I had the distinct non-pleasure of getting a virus on top of the seasonal asthma I get at this time of year, precisely while I am getting ready for 3 events. But you know, I was thinking, while I was having my own little pity party, what makes me happy? What makes me smile? Well, top of that list is all of you out there who've stopped by to wish me well. And there are some pretty spectacular pieces of jewelry that I've had such a thrill to see over the past little while. Too many in fact for just one blog post. So I thought this is just the time to do a little series of these wonders in no particular order.
Judy, at Judith B Designs, recently posted photos of pieces she made using some of my components. I must say that I was completely gob smacked when I saw this necklace. Judy used a cornucopia of pearls, smoky quartz, and lapis to make this piece and topped it off with a vintage rhinestone drop. Stunning!

Judy incorporates pieces of vintage jewelry in many pieces of her work. I often think how much fun it would be to prowl the antique shops and flea markets with her.
Next up she used my bronze dragonfly charm paired with a bead and dropped off a leather cord. Complete simplicity and perfectly balanced. The dragonfly I make is inspired from memories of the images I saw during my years in the Asia Pacific. This necklace wholley embraces my feeling of that particular aesthetic. Makes me happy :-)


And this is the peep hole of my large kiln, about 15 minutes ago. I love the glow of the heat when the kiln when it is just about to temperature. The kiln is off now, the smaller kiln is on. This is the last 2 firings of the pots for the upcoming events. This is the last of my 12 hour studio days. That makes me very happy!

12 comments:

Judy said...

I am so glad I was able to make you happy! Thanks so much for that lovely post.
I hope you are feeling better today.

stregata said...

Glad to see you, LeAnn! And I am glad that you find things to make you smile!
Your components are a delight and I have been seeing them often in jewellery in blogland. I love your descriptions of other peoples pieces - say, maybe I can get you to ghostwrite my descriptions for me.... LOL!!

Esther said...

i hope you feel good LeAnn.; these pieces are wonderfuls.;look how ou inspire us!! you are a kind of muse!!

mairedodd said...

so glad you are feeling better... remember the old 'this too shall pass'... the pieces by judy are beautiful... your work is so versatile - and that is so great!

Barbara Lewis said...

LeAnn, hope you're getting better fast. Don't you feel like a proud parent when you see one of your ceramic pieces in someone else's creation?

Joella said...

feelin' sick is not fun...hope you get well soon:)

sharon said...

Glad to see your back and feeking better LeAnn!! Judy's pieces are really stunning!! We all know what a pleasure it is to work with your components...an absolute joy!

Marie Cramp said...

I hope that means you are feeling better, if not I pray that you will be soon. The necklaces are lovely, I am working on three pieces right now with some of your lovely components, I hope to be done soon. I look forward to seeing those pots you have been working so hard on, please post them for all of us to see :)
Big Hugs
Marie

Silver Parrot said...

Sorry you've been sick...I think that same virus has zapped everyone I know. I'm just getting over it myself. Oh, and I have some good pics to send you of finished pieces using your lovely work! Hopefully, that will cheer you up!

Erin Siegel said...

Oh, no! I'm sorry you were sick. :( I hope you are feeling better! :) It's no wonder these beautiful pieces cheered you up! I've seen your pretties appearing in lovely jewelry pieces quite a bit. As they should! Isn't it a wonderful feeling?

Unknown said...

Hope you are feeling better...seeing your work in these lovely pieces is sure to cheer you up!!

SueBeads said...

Nice pieces - hope you are getting better every day!