Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Puffy Hearts and Moist Clay

Every so often I need to feel moist clay in my hands. No molds, no stamps, just the feel of it as I gently push it into a little form. That happened to be how I was feeling this week. It’s cold. My studio is barely heated. It was gloomy. Much better to be inside where it is warm, with my dogs at my feet. So I brought in a bit of moist clay and sat at the dining room table and made these little hearts.

I like the feel of these. They are all rounded and plump, a little like river stones that have been tumbled in the current. Most of the time, I have a picture in my mind of how something will be finished. Not this time. My temptation is to leave them unglazed and tumble polish them. I do love the feel of bright white porcelain when it’s been polished. They are in the kiln now. I’ll decide tomorrow what they will become. For now, I am just happy with having quietly sat with a few little lumps of clay in my hands.

13 comments:

Judy said...

I heart those! Simple and pure.

mairedodd said...

that is so very beautiful... and isn't it something how that shape really does come so easily in the hand? am glad you got to meet multiple needs with clay - they are truly precious... i know that whatever they become, i will be first in line to get one! they are so imbued with your energy... have to admit those little birds flutter around my head so often... have to take a peek and see if any of those are left! be well...

sharon said...

A simple beautiful little white heart says it all, and makes you feel good at the same time. They look so clean, so fresh! Like new white linen.....awesome!

The Joy of Nesting said...

LeAnn,

I think Sharon said it perfectly. Tonight your little white hearts to me are the perfect visualization of the beautiful Quaker hymm "Tis a Gift to be Simple" :)

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

stregata said...

So very lovely, LeAnn! Pure little hearts! xo

Marie Cramp said...

sounds very relaxing!! I can't wait to see what you decide :)

Marie

Barbara Lewis said...

Perfect! You know, when I saw the picture I thought to myself ... these are beautiful just as they are ... unglazed porcelain. Then I read that you were considering leaving them unglazed! I hope you leave at least some of them without color. They are beautiful!

SueBeads said...

I agree - I think the simple white glazed hearts will be beautiful! I'm looking forward to seeing them finished! Stay warm!

Unknown said...

I'm with you...my work space is not heated and as cold as it's been it's freezing out there, so I've been doing a little work inside.

The hearts look perfect.

sasha + max studio said...

so beautiful and sensuous - lovely :)

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Will you leave them bisque, just pretty and textured in the hand? I love them. You're right that they look like river stones.

Erin Siegel said...

Well, you know I like naked clay! :) These are so sweet. I love'em!

Mary Harding said...

Lovely hearts LeAnn. I love their puffiness and whiteness, just like the fields of snow around our house.