Wednesday, August 18, 2010

It's so good to be home



I've been home for 10 days straight, which is something of a record this summer. I've been able to follow through on a few ideas that have been percolating in my mind. Those pendants up there are glazed and ready to go into the kiln tomorrow night, along with a lot of other bits and pieces.

Remember these?



Those pendants are tiny versions of these small plates. Only the pendants are made in porcelain and the plates are stoneware. I have no idea how most of the glazes will turn out. I'm using a mix of my own glazes and some commercial ones. I just don't have the time to do glaze development anymore. But it is kind of exciting to learn how to make my own someone else's glaze formula. Hopefully, some of these are going to come out in the autumn colours I see in my mind. I know, butterflies are more of a summer theme. But many butterflies migrate like the monarch that this design is based on. So heck, I can have autumn butterflies, right?


 That sky up there is what I looked at just a few minutes ago as I sat on my deck and relaxed for a few moments. Isn't it glorious against the green leaves of the pecan? I love that green and blue. And the best of all thing is we are under 100F right now.  Autumn is on the way and I am ready for my favourite season!

Come back Friday and I'll give you a peek at those pendants when they are finished. I'll even throw in some pics of the uglies. Hopefully there won't be any uglies. But I never know when I'm doing new things.

9 comments:

The Joy of Nesting said...

OMG I can feel your joy Missy!!!

It's so nice to find yourself in one of those wonderful little quiet spots in our busy lives. So enjoy it as long as you can because they never last near long enough!

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

SueBeads said...

Can't wait to see! A Pecan tree? How lucky! Do you get pecans?

Marcie Abney Carroll said...

I miss pecan trees...

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

...And not a cloud in the sky! I am happy to say that I put on a long pair of pants today. Not that I "needed" to, but it sure as heck was cool enough (we didn't get past 75 - YAY!) to justify it. I love light weight pant weather… Come on fall!

Hope some of the colors I share on Friday in the BOC post will inspire your color palette! I agree - studio time is too precious to spend mixing and storing and getting totally frustrated with your own glazes. I would rather be making stuff and testing out new color combinations with what is out there. Not that there is anything wrong with either way… It's just what you have time for and what works for you and your studio "now"…

Can't wait to see the results! Maybe you can post a link to the BOC glaze post to your blog post directly with your images. All glaze testing welcome!

Unknown said...

Love butterflies. Can't wait to see how the pendants turn out.

peacockfairy said...

Ohhh, I was hoping you'd make those butterflies into pendants! Can't wait!

Katie said...

Love the plates, and can't wait to see how they come out in pendant form :o)

I really want a plate, though...Doggonit...Why do you have to live so far away from Houston? :o)

Judy said...

Gorgeous butterfly pendants and I love the deep rich blue glaze!
We are having our second day of under 90 degree weather, it is such a relief! Enjoy your lovely day!

sharon said...

Looking forward to seeing your glazes, since the pieces are already so gorgeous LeAnn!