Friday, April 22, 2011

Home Sweet Home


This is it. The new house. We got word this week that our offer was accepted. I fell in love with this house the moment I walked up the front walk. On the left there is a dog wood blooming and in front of the house is a red bud tree. My absolute favourite trees because they are among the first signs that spring is here.  It was like they were welcoming us home.

This is the newest house we'll have ever lived in. She was built in 1939 and is on the historic regester in a street of houses all in a historic district.  She started life as a parsonage and is pretty good sized with 4 bedrooms. I rather like that the cultural significance of the district is that it was built as a middle class housing alternative. Most of the homes in this street were built in the 1920's and 1930's and they are all different from each other. Some rather grand and others more modest, like ours.


Let me show you around. The front door opens into a small foyer with an original light fixture overhead. You can see the fourth bedroom at the back. The rest are upstairs. I'm not sure how well the dogs will like the stairs but I love having the bedrooms upstairs. The carpet on the stairs is going. It is ugly, worn out, and just too hard to clean. Those shelves you see in the fourth bedroom are going too. Have pry bar, will wreck.



At last, another working fireplace in the living room. I've missed the fireplace in our Melbourne house. We spent so many cold winter nights gathered around the open fire. It's nice to think that we'll be able to that again.


Yes, those are powder blue bench tops in the kitchen. They have got to go. But for now we have made a promise to each other that there will be no renovation for a year. Except for those shelves in the bedroom. They have to go right now because they are in the way of anything we might put in that room.

We are serial renovators and we are tired. We'll live with the house for a while. Get to know her a little better and let her tell us what she needs. I know that sounds weird but I do think that houses can speak to you if you open up to listening.


This is probably my favourite part of the house. The studio! I walked into this room and said, 'this is mine.' It's a great huge back porch that's been enclosed and had heating and cooling added to it. There are windows on three sides. So much light. The carpet will go. We have no idea what's under there but carpet just isn't going to work for me.


I'm not sure how I will deal with the distraction of the view from the studio. This is the back garden. It's so green out there. If you've ever been to West Texas, you'll know just how distracting all that green might be. It's calling to me. Come plant flowers here. Why not some tomatoes here?

Have a great weekend! I'll be dreaming of the new studio while I start to pack up the old one.

23 comments:

Marcie Abney Carroll said...

Aah! Beautiful! I love old homes! So much history and I can't wait to see what you do with the studio. You must show pictures when you get it finished to the way you like it! Welcome home!

Unknown said...

What a lovely lovely older home! They have so much appeal. Its wonderful! Its looks so storybook. You are Blessed!

Laura Twiford said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful home. We too love old homes and are also tired of renovating! But they have so much character. That studio is wonderful and I'm sure the view will inspire your work as well. Enjoy!

windrock studio said...

Oh, LeAnn! It looks perfect for you, especially the studio space. And yes, after west Texas all that green and the dogwoods will be stunning ... how can you contain your excitement? But I agree about taking your time and listening to this new home, of course they whisper to you, constantly! Have fun, happy Easter, wishing you all the best.

Barbara Lewis said...

I love this house! There are so many things to love! You did good LeAnn! We had a "volunteer" Eastern Red Bud in our last house ... it's the first to bloom in the Spring!

Unknown said...

What a great house, LeAnn! I can see why you said it was yours before you even walked inside. Such character!

Lorelei Eurto said...

Beautiful!!! I don't blame you for falling in love with it, it's just got so much character! Enjoy moving in and getting settled!

SueBeads said...

Beautiful LeAnn! I'm so glad you found such a wonderful house with such wonderful space for you!!!!

Mags said...

What a charming, charming House! I love even the powder blue kitchen of it ;-D

momster said...

beautiful! love your studio! your husband must really appreciate your supportive spirit, to not just pick up and follow, but with excitement and enthusiasm.

Marie Cramp said...

Congrats! I am envious of your Studio! What a wonderful place to create! Always nice to start fresh with a new place :)

sasha + max studio said...

A wonderful home, LeAnn - such lovely character. Good luck with it all, and that studio is so nice !

Anonymous said...

Fabulous spaces and that studio Room is to die for, so much natural light. LeAnn wishing you a smooth move and many blessings.

Judy said...

I am so happy for you! I just love the house! Your new studio is just perfect with all of those windows and natural light...could we possibly expect more greatness from you in that new room!!

Anonymous said...

It looks like a great house and a great place to be. I have total studio envy! Good luck with all the "moving minutae." Have a wonderful time getting settled in.

sharon said...

It's gorgeous LeAnn! I am so sure you will be happy here! Enjoy this!

stregata said...

It looks wonderful, LeAnn! And I do believe the house can and will communicate. Old houses have a soul. Your new studio is absolutely gorgeous - all that light - and looking out into the green... so beautiful!
Wishing you a smooth move...

My Life Under the Bus said...

OMG!! So sweet!!! Love the trees and the house and before I even read it I was thinking that room would be a great studio - how exciting!!! We too are serial renovaters and I chuckled at "we are going to wait a year". I remember our first house we got the keys and ran to rip the bathroom out!The current house we ar in has been a renovation hell hole and we are soooo disgusted with it! No motivation at all! Pfft - this is such a sweet pretty house though - I am excited for you! Congrats and have a Happy Happy Easter : )

Kylie Parry Studios said...

beautiful- so much character! Your studio is perfect!

Anonymous said...

What a way to get up and greet the day...wonderful views...

Thanks for letting me stop by...enjoy your awesome new house!!!...

Lucid Moon Studio said...

Your new house is great! It has such character, and I love the studio area. I like lots of light as well. The back yard is wonderful too! You will have to plant a garden for sure. We live in a townhouse and recently decided we need a yard, so we are on the lookout. Congrats on your "new" place :)

Unknown said...

Congrats on your new home! It's beautiful.

Carol B said...

What an adorable house with a perfect studio! Congrats.