Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Art Bead Scene Ornament Blog Hop


I was thinking of my childhood friend Connie when I made this ornament. She had this most fabulous set up for her mittens that her grandmother had made for her. Simple really...just a piece of elastic that ran through the sleeves of her jacket and clipped onto her mittens. Oh how I loved that. I think we were about 5 years old.

I made this ornament from a pair of my mini ceramic mittens and wire wrapped wood and ceramic beads left over from other projects. They are suspended from a hammered loop of 14 gauge copper meant to hang over the branch of the Christmas tree.

It has been our tradition since the children were young, to give each of them an ornament when we decorate ouR tree. Our children are all grown with families of their own. Those childhood ornaments now decorate their own Christmas trees. Last year we had the blessing of welcoming into our family our now 4 year old grand daughter. She's just spent the last couple of weeks here with us and helped to set up our tree this year. This is the first year where she really understands Christmas. She knows who Santa is and that he's coming soon. Each morning we have a ritual of turning on the tree lights before we set down to breakfast. Each evening we turn on the holiday lights on the front porch and marvel over the lights on the neighbors porches. This beautiful 4 year old brings such a renewed sense of holiday magic into my life.

I've secretly wrapped up the mitten ornaments and sent them home with my grand daughter and her mother. Next week when her daddy gets home, she'll get to open them when they decorate their own Christmas tree. This Nanna is so happy to be able to pass on the tradition.


Please stop by to see the ornaments that others have created for the ornament blog hop.



33 comments:

sharon said...

These look great!

Beverly Herman said...

I will be back for the ornament blog hop. I love handmade ornaments for the Holidays.

stregata said...

So intriguing!

mairedodd said...

can't wait!

SueBeads said...

Looking forward to seeing it!

Laura Twiford said...

Theu look so warm and festive from what i can see, I'll be back!

m.e. said...

These mittens warm my heart!
My family also collects ornaments yearly.
My children are grown and their childhood collections now adorn their own trees.
Your mitten ornament is a tiny heirloom treasure for your granddaughter.
a Very Special creation !
m.e. :)

SueBeads said...

LeAnn- so cute! I also give my kids an ornament every year for when they are grown and have their own house! Your granddaughter is going to love it! How sweet!

Mary Harding said...

How delightful. Love the way you strung them together. The mittens are so sweet and such wonderful colors.

Lori Bowring Michaud said...

Love your inspiration! Your ornament is such a great interpretation. My oldest daughter just took her childhood ornaments for her first tree away from home. My tree is a little sad that her ornaments aren't gracing it, but her first tree is sweet, sweet, sweet! We started a new family tradition this year by all sitting down together to craft ornaments for her tree. We'll do the same as each child leaves the nest!

Laura Twiford said...

I too share the joy of passing traditions onto the next generation and cherish those moments with our grandchildren as well. It is these traditions that matter and make the holidays so much more joyful! Your granddaughter will soon be making ornaments alongside you and that will be so special!

Anonymous said...

Love love love! Love the ornaments and the story behind it all!

~Diana P.

steufel said...

Loooooooove that. And what a wonderful tradition. To have all this dear and sweet memories hanging on your tree. Love that too:-)

steufel said...

P.S. I try to get my mother an ornament every year, this year I picked a ceramic rendeer, so I can totally relate to your tradition:-)

Islandgirl said...

What a cute ornament! I never had idiot strings for my mitts but I certainly could have used them!

Marie Cramp said...

How wonderful! I am holding back tears. That is such a sweet story <3
Beautiful ornament, I think she will cherish it forever!!

Elysian Studios said...

What a wonderful story! I just love the mittens and the design of your ornament, and they are made even more beautiful by your loving words about your granddaughter. Have a very Merry Christmas!

Lupe Meter said...

What a nice tradition! Love, love, love those little mittens! Awesome job!

Maria said...

I WANT this ornament for my tree!!! LOVE it!

Amy said...

At first glance I liked this ornament, upon reading the story I love it! My grandmother has given us each an ornament every year and even as an adult it is one of my favorite things to look forward to each year.

Heather Powers said...

I love that tradition and that you are enjoying the holidays with your family! The ornament is wonderful, love that they are a connected pair.

salla said...

I want this ornament so much.... just wonderful!

Jewels By Ine said...

This one is cool!

Izzy said...

very sweet...

Unknown said...

Such a lovely story to go along with your cute ornament.

Colleen said...

You always write such heartfelt posts! It has made me feel like I know your beautiful family. You’ve made me laugh out loud with your wonderful humor & have brought me to tears with poignant posts about your son’s deployment; your daughter’s kindness; the wonderful love of your new granddaughter and Lifes ups & downs. Thank you for sharing your life and your craft in such a beautiful way!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful....the ornament, post and the wonderful tradition that carries on! Thank you for sharing!!

Beverly Herman said...

Those mitts are adorable! I love Christmas traditions.
Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Spirited Earth said...

lovely story, these mittens are so cute..perfect

Kathleen Lange Klik said...

Really sweet ornament! I love the copper wire hook and the overall design-very unique! Love your family tradition too.

Claire Maunsell said...

Such lovely mittens and beads to be handed to the next generation. Wonderful!

Geanina said...

Your mini mittens are super cute! I enjoyed reading the story as well! Wishing you and your loved ones a very Happy Christmas !

TesoriTrovati said...

We have the same tradition. And it is one that was started in my own childhood. I love these mittens. They are so cute! And your granddaughter will hang them on her own tree with joy for her sweet Nanna! Enjoy the day!
Erin