Sunday, May 17, 2009

Brass, Bronze, & Porecelain

It all started when I was cleaning up the dining room table, which yet again has become my "temporary" workspace. The porcelain 3 hole connector is one I made with no particular vision in mind. In my sorting through the bits and bobs, it ended up next to one of the bronze charms I made last week. And it sort of clicked. But alas, I had no proper oval jump rings that I liked. So one thing led to another and I made them from 18 gauge brass wire. Now if you had told me 6 months ago that I would make jump rings, I would have laughed. Politely of course.

Once I hooked everything together, the top of the pendant looked unfinished. Nothing scattered around the table appealed to me to finish this off. And then I thought, if I can make jump rings, I can fashion some sort of hanger thing for this piece. I have found I really like bending wire then flattening it out. There is something deeply satisfying about this.

I don't actually consider this a finished piece. The bronze clay work really is in early development. But I do see some possibilities in combining these different pieces and different methods of working.

By the way, the dining room table looks much like it did when I started cleaning. But I have decided that living with chaos on the table is a good thing. It encourages serendipity.

Happy Sunday and have a good week

LeAnn

10 comments:

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

L.O.V.E. it! You are so talented!

stregata said...

Talk about serendipity, indeed! And, girl, do I see possibilities ...
I love where you are going with this.

Does it only seem like this to me, or has blogging opened a whole new horizon of possibilities in our work? i think it is wonderful.
Cheers,
Renate

SummersStudio said...

Thanks Cristi!

Renate, I dont think any of my recent work would have happened at all if it weren't for blogging. For me this is a creative environment that doesn't happen working alone in my studio. I love all the sharing that goes on here!

SueBeads said...

I love it too! Great job Le Ann!

sharon said...

This is the BEST LeAnn, and what a great extension of yourself!!! I'm speechlessly happy for you, and when I look at it. I'm soooo excited!!
WIRE is my best friend!!, besides all of you of course!!!

Beverly Herman said...

Beautiful combination. I love the way the two pieces flow together.

SummersStudio said...

Thanks, Sue, Sharon, and Bev! I really do think that my work is heading off the way it is because of all of you.

Sharon, I'm loving wire. Even the brass wire.

Prairie Emporium said...

LeAnn, I love the combo !!!
Debbie

Anonymous said...

I love the combibation too, it's beautiful and the wire accent is just right.

Angel.Pearls said...

Just great jewelerys! Love//Eva