Thursday, July 2, 2009

Not just a pretty package

Last night Peter came home with this lovely package from Japan. It was a gift from a student of Japanese descent who had just returned from a family visit. Isn't it beautiful? It actually came with lovely chocolate brown wrapping on the outside that has since disappeared.


Neatly nestled inside are Japanese sweets, a sort of pastry stuffed with different types of bean paste and fruit (I think). Very yummy!


But even the inside was nicely packaged. A lightly embossed paper wrapped over the goodies, covered with a card, which I think is probably a buisiness card. Packaged beautifully inside and out. This was a treat to open, not just because it came from Japan and was therefor somewhat exotic. It was an experience....opening this package was something to savour. Great care, even in this commercial product, went into packaging the sweets.


This made me think about my own packaging of things I send out. Does it show care? Maybe. Is it an experience? Probably not. At least not in the same sense that opening this package was. This package made me realize that as a Westerner, I am so conditioned to the bottom line, the expediency of doing things, the hustle and bustle of daily life that I forget to just savour the moment.



This box of sweets was not just a pretty package.

10 comments:

Prairie Emporium said...

LeAnn, I love your packaging!!! The way you sew each one to its own little card, in its own little bag. You do a great job.

stregata said...

Really a beautiful package!! The painting on the front reminds me of chestnuts...
Your packaging shows a geat amount of care and I think that is important.

sharon said...

This package is quite stunning and I bet will be of inspiration to you in more ways than one!! I think your packaging is lovely....don't doubt yourself!! Compare apples with apples!! Your one of the best LeAnn!

Mellisa said...

That truly is lovely packaging! I do love a pretty parcel but then I hate to throw away the wrapping. It's a tough dilemma-is the luxury of beautiful packaging worth the increase in price of the items to the buyer?

Katie said...

The packaging for your Japanese goodies is beautiful! But, I love the packaging for the goodies I get from you, too :o) You take the time to tack the buttons, pendants, etc down to the button cards - which I think is super cool - and then, I got a package with a note on the card, too :o)

As beautiful as the Japanese wrappers are, I love the more personal touches that you add to your packaging!

SummersStudio said...

It is indeed a luxury to have the beautiful packaging and one I can't really afford. I'm so happy you all appreciate my humble efforts to get your things safely too you. BTW the packaging is getting saved as a wall piece for the newly organized studio.

Melinda Orr - BANDANA GIRL said...

I have been thinking about this as well. I do believe that interesting packaging upgrades your product to a new level. I recently found a video for creating your own boxes with printed cardstock. Today I;m putting together the whole package with a tutorial and pricing structure if you want to check it out on my blog http://orrtec.blogspot.com/

Rosanne said...

Don't you worry, your packaging is perfect!

mairedodd said...

packaging is something i think about as well... i blogged about how a japanese glass bead maker sends her things out as well... simple and lovely... one does have to weigh cost incurred and cost passed along... a tough economy for that... so you have to get creative i guess!

Cindy said...

What a thoughtful post...I was born in Japan and my Aunt continues to send packages of goodies much like this one and it is always such a treat. As one of your customers, I too agree that YOUR packaging is just lovely. :-)
Cindy
www.sweetbeadstudio.com