Sunday, November 29, 2009

So many cranberries.....


So little time......


If your household is at all like mine, right now you are probably staring at a large container of cranberry sauce left over from the Thanksgiving feast. We love cranberry sauce. Thanksgiving wouldn’t be the same without it. But a little goes a long ways and there is always way too much. So it usually sits there quietly in the fridge until it just really has to go.

This year I said things would be different. I figured if those folks over at Ocean Spray can make cranapple juice, I can make cranapple crisp. What I like about making a fruit crisp is that it does not tax my non-existent pastry skills the way a pie does. It doesn’t require a lot of exact measuring, a bonus for the pastry challenged. And even if the crisp isn’t perfect, it can always be fixed up with a generous dose of vanilla ice cream.

So here’s what I did:

3 huge Granny Smith apples, peeled, sliced and coated with 1 Tbsp flour, mixed with about 1 ¾ cups of homemade cranberry sauce, spread in an 8x8 greased baking pan

Topped with ½ cup old fashioned oatmeal, ½ cup flour, ¾ cup brown sugar, ½ stick softened butter, ½ tsp cinnamon, all mixed together until it was crumbly.

Baked at 375F for about 30 minutes until bubbly on the bottom and golden on the top.



Ocean Spray, move over.....Hot out of the oven, with a generous dose of vanilla ice cream, this was seriously delish! Quite frankly we were suffering from desert withdrawal so it was necessary for our mental well being. And all those antioxdents had to be good for us. In fact this was so good I am thinking of making cranberry sauce specifically so we can have this crisp whenever we want. A big step indeed for the woman who does not make desert, not ever. (that’s what the bakery section of the grocery store is for).

Hope you've all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. And if it wasn't Thanksgiving for you, then I hope it was a great weekend.

14 comments:

mairedodd said...

yum!
i love my mom's apple crisp - but i really love cranberries - so we are going to have to try this! thanks so much... :0)

Vintajia Adornments said...

Glad to see a good old Aussie apple was featured in this delicious sounding pud!

TesoriTrovati said...

I make a cranapple pie that is very similar. But I cheat and use the premade pie crusts, just unroll and voila!
I love that first picture. Those colors are great together. Enjoy the day! Erin

SummersStudio said...

Maire, you have to make this if you like cranberries.

Greer, I love Aussi apples, especially the ones we got in the Adelaide hills, bonza. And a pud? Well I love a pud, just about any kind.

Erin, I seem to have problems even with premade crust. But I keep trying. Somehow I can burn just about anything.

ClickNCamera said...

I'm thankful for your suggestion! I love the cranberry salad/relish I make each year for Thanksgiving but one person can't eat ALL of the leftover cranberry salad! I'll be giving this a try! Thanks so much!

The Joy of Nesting said...

YUUUUM LeAnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ohhhhh how I love cranberries!!!!! But except for the 4 cans of cranberry jelly that reach here each year we have no
cranberries :( But time's they are achangin. Here I am sucking on peppermint candy canes which were no where to be found just a couple of years ago. Sooooooo maybe another few years and we will have real cranberries :) One can always hope :)

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

Unknown said...

Oh Man!! That looks so good!! I love fruit crisp...

stregata said...

LeAnn, this really does sound wonderful. We do sometimes get imported cranberries here. I just don't know how to make cranberry sauce! We have a related berry - preiselbeere; it is a smaller, I don't know how different in taste. This is usually served with venison and game meat. But then, I guess for the early settlers, turkey was game!
But anyway - congratulations on being a whizz at dessert!

Marsha of Marsha Neal Studio said...

Oh my... Oh, I so want to just reach into the screen with a big spoon and scoop some of that up!

How wonderful of you to share not just a wonderful picture, but a great recipe! Can't wait to try it...

Thanks!!!

sharon said...

Sure looks great to me LeAnn!! This is my kind of desert! Will have to give this a try!

Leslie @ Bei Mondi said...

Your crisp looks scrumptious! We actually ran out of cranberry sauce this year. :(

Cindy said...

LeAnn, this sounds absolutely delicious! I just love pies, crisps and crumbles. Will have to give this one a try...thank you for the recipe!
Cindy
www.sweetbeadstudio.com

Esther said...

yummmmmmmmmmm!!!

Barbara Lewis said...

LeAnn, My mouth is watering! My husband just called everyone for dinner. How can I tell him that I really want to start with desert?! I'm going to try your recipe. I am a big cranberry fan!