Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Finished, Done, Complete


Accomplished, used up.....all synonyms for finished, all words to describe today in the studio. I am done making things for the shows this weekend. I don't even set up until Friday. How did this happen? Of course, there is this overwhelming compulsion to make just one more thing. But I am resisting. I am all used up and really have no more creative juice left.

Did you see that plural up there? The shows part. Did I tell you this is the weekend that happens every year where I do my regular monthly art market and the studio tour? And what on earth is that daisy doing up there?

I just pulled that out of the inventory because I couldn't bear to part with it. It has it's little drippy flaws but what if somebody loved it and bought it and I could never make another one again. It also serves to soften the image of my studio. Like maybe it doesn't look like this:


Which isn't even my studio. It's my dining room. And it is much worse than it was the last time I showed you. But the good news is that the studio proper is no worse. Well, it couldn't really get any worse.

And about these studio tours. First thank goodness I won't be setting up in my studio. Because this mess isn't going away until at least Monday. But I do really think it should be a requirement to show some reality shots of working studios. By the time you all get round to one of these events, everything is all tidy and neat. But we all know that nothing ever really gets made in a state of tidyness. At least I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who lives in creative chaos. And if I am, I really, really would like to stay with the delusion that this is completely normal.

11 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

"Creative minds are rarely tidy." At least that is what I used to tell my mother when I was asked why I didn't clean my room (you can imagine how well THAT went over!). I don't think that I can create in clean. I have to have piles and bins overflowing and stray bits and pieces everywhere. At least that is my story and I am sticking to it!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Spirited Earth said...

that rubble on your table looks exactly like my work table this last weekend ..rushing to get things finished for a show.
i came home and just looked at that mess and started to laugh.
it's a wonder how i found anything.
good luck with your shows.

Unknown said...

Busy, busy this weekend! I hope it's a good one. I love to see "real" shots of a workspace. Isn't it funny, we can actually be creative when we work in such mess? And we (most of the time) know exactly where everything is.

sharon said...

I think I might be scared if your work area was neat! Your work table and area tell your story, and I love it....mine is quite similar, and I really don't worry about that any more......if it's working , go with it!

Best of luck at your shows LeAnn!

stregata said...

You're right to hang on to your daisy. Congrats on being all finished for your shows - which I hope will be fantastic and a great success.
As for tidy studios - that, I believe, is science fiction. Or Hollywood. Or an open studio tour. I don't think anyone creates in a state of tidiness. Maybe there are varying stages of creative chaos? All I know is, my studio looks very similar to yours. And after all, you are creating beauty. If we wanted to create tidiness, we could just stick with housework. What a thought!

Mary Newton Designs said...

I love your drippy little daisy! Good luck with the shows!

Laura Twiford said...

Like I said in my studio cleanup posts, the ONLY reason it looks like it does is because nothing is happening in there yet. i do my best work under pressure and in the middle of chaos. When everything is clean and organized I have a tendency to just stand there and look at everything! You are quite normal by my standards! And I love the daisy!

Pretty Things said...

I had to laugh -- "make one more thing" -- I'm so like that! I feel like that's the ONE thing that would have sold if I'd JUST made it! And that leads to making another, and another, and then there's no sleep, and guess what? None of those things sold anyway.

So now I say forget it and go for the soak in the tub and sleep.

Have a great show!

Unknown said...

Awesome! I hope you are very prosperous! Your work is lovely.

The Joy of Nesting said...

Why of course it's perfectly normal. No delusion needed!

Stopped by on a small blog break. Only 2 full days left and booth set up is Monday afternoon! I'm done making and have moved on to pricing and fluffing :)

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

Anonymous said...

It warms my heart to see this dining room table!! And I really relate to the "one more thing..." mindset.