Monday, March 23, 2009

We're Back!

We had a wonderful time. None of us have been to this part of Oklahoma before. Robber's Cave State Park is nestled into the forests of the San Bois Mountain range and it is truly a stunning area.

This is our little home away from home. The cabin is up on a rocky ridge surronded by short needle pine forest. Our front 'lawn' was carpeted with yellow and white spring flowers. Such a treat.


Morning is not always my friend. But when looking out the window from your bed gives you this, it is not too much of a chore!



Much of our hiking was more properly rock scrambling.

Not everyone in the park was happy to share their home with us. This cotton mouth snake took exception to sharing his fishing hole with my son and husband. Fortunately, this photo is as close as I got to him. I am uneasy with snakes, especially cranky venomous ones.




No television, no internet, no newspaper... A trip like this an indulgence for me. It is like being able to turn off a switch for a few days. I found myself spending a lot of time just sitting on a rock behind the cabin, absorbing the sound, the smell, the view. I find myself being able to truly enjoy small things like lichen on a rock, the intricacy of a pine cone, hawks overhead. I would love to bottle it all up and take it out like a magic potion that I could use to revitalize myself when I am on sensory overload from daily life. But in a way it is bottled up in my memory.
I spent a lot of time sketching, well, doodling, really. Just letting my mind wander aimlessly. It is spring and I feel fresh and new again. I'm ready to get back into the studio.
I hope all of you are feeling a bit of that spring time magic!
Cheers, LeAnn

3 comments:

Komyo said...

What a completely lovely cabin!! And the place seems fantastic! Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading about it :)

stregata said...

Hi LeAnn,
Sounds like you had a wonderful trip - such beautiful pictures! I wonder what great ideas you have brought back? But I am glad that you are back!
Renate

SummersStudio said...

Renate, you can comment again. Yeah!